Covid-19 disaster payment
In a combined NSW and Federal Governments statement, Covid-19 support packages have been announced, which include:
- COVID-19 disaster payment
From week four of a lockdown because of a declared hotspot, the COVID-19 disaster payment will increase to $600 if a person has lost 20 or more hours of work a week or $375 if a person has lost between eight and less than 20 hours of work a week.
The Federal and NSW Governments have also agreed that from 18 July the COVID-19 Commonwealth Disaster Payment will be available to those outside federally declared hotspots in NSW that meet the criteria for the payment.
How to claim
If you’re an Australian resident (Australian residents need to claim online)
- To claim online you need a myGov account linked to a Centrelink online account
- If you don’t have a myGov account, you can create one
- If your myGov account isn’t linked to Centrelink, you can prove who you are through myGov to link to Centrelink
If you’re an eligible working visa holder
- Eligible working visa holders need to call on 180 22 66 where a claim can be taken
- Phone lines are open Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm
Small business with an annual turnover between $75,000 and $50 million
A new business support payment will also be available to entities with an annual turnover between $75,000 and $50 million who can demonstrate a 30% decline in turnover.
To receive the payment, eligible entities will be required to maintain their full time, part time and long term casual staffing level as of 13 July 2021.
Eligible entities, which includes not-for-profits, will receive payments of between $1,500 and $10,000 per week based on the level of their payroll.
For non-employing businesses, such as sole traders, the payment will be set at $1,000
Micro businesses with turnover between $30,000 and $75,000
If you’re a micro business (small business or sole trader with annual turnover of more than $30,000 and under $75,000) impacted by the current Greater Sydney COVID-19 restrictions, you may be able to apply for a $1500 payment per fortnight of restrictions from late July 2021.
Covid-19 support package application
To help avoid delays in completing an application for support, affected entities should
- Ensure that their business and contact details are up-to-date with the Australian Business Register (ABR)
- Ensure personal, contact and business details are up-to-date in their MyServiceNSW account and their business profile (or to create an account)
Further information will be posted to the Services NSW website soon.
Covid-19 package for 2021
The 2021 COVID-19 package also include:
- Payroll tax waivers of 25% for businesses with Australian wages of between $1.2 million and $10 million that have experienced a 30% decline in turnover, as well as payroll tax deferrals and interest free repayment plans;
- A capped grant of up to $1,500 for residential landlords who are not liable to pay land tax who reduce rent for tenants estimated at $210 million;
- Land tax relief equal to the value of rent reductions provided by commercial, retail and residential landlords to financially distressed tenants, up to 100% of the 2021 land tax year liability;
- Introduction of legislative amendments to ensure a short-term eviction moratorium for rental arrears where a residential tenant suffers loss of income of 25% due to COVID-19 and meets a range of criteria.
- No recovery of security bonds, or lockouts or evictions of impacted retail and commercial tenants prior to mediation;
- Deferral of gaming tax assessments for clubs until 21 December 2021 and hotels until 21 January 2021;
- A $75 million support package for the performing arts sector to be administered by Create NSW;
- A support package for the accommodation sector worth $26 million;
- $12 million in additional funding for temporary accommodation for those at risk of or experiencing homelessness, and
- $5.1 million in NSW funding to support mental health.
The details can be found here. Further details will be announced and we will update you once the information is available.